What kind of game are you planning to build?
A “capture-the-flag”-esque game. It will have team PvP combat.
What are the goals of the game, how to players win, how do they lose?
The goal of the game is to gather all the flags while preventing the other team from obtaining the flags. A team wins by acquiring all the flags or having more flags when the timer runs out.
What are the interesting or unique aspects to your game?
As opposed to typical capture the flag, flags aren’t ever “locked in” and can be lost upon player death. We are thinking of having players drop in from the sky instead of having fixed spawn points. The location of the flags will be randomized to some degree to add variation.
What are the list of features of your game? Prioritize them into at least three categories: “Must Have”, “Would Be Really Nice”, and “Cool But Only If Ahead Of Schedule”.
- Chickens (with walking animation)
- Guns/Attack items or abilities
- Menu / Pregame-lobby
- Spawn location choice
- Health System
- Basic Sounds
Would Be Really Nice
- Drop-in Spawn
- Slow-down per flags gathered
Cool But Only If Ahead of Schedule
- Game modes/variable teams
- Complex items/power ups
- Different birds
- Legendary things (item? Vehicle?)
What are the major roles in your group’s management?
We can take turns leading stand-up.
How will decisions be made?
Decisions will be made through consensus/majority in project-wide decisions. In individual tasks freedom is encouraged.
How will you communicate?
We will have twice a week stand-ups to check in on progress. For other communication, we will use Facebook Messenger.
How will you know when you’re off schedule, and how will you deal with schedule slips?
We are using JIRA as our project management software. We will deal with schedule slips by either changing our specs or working more.
Who will produce the weekly group status reports?
Each person will contribute to the weekly report what has been developed.
What are the development roles and who will handle them?
- Gameplay – Everyone
- Networking – Brian, David, John, Phoebe
- Graphics – Matt, Michelle
- Physics – Brian, David, John
- UI – Everyone
- Audio – David
- Art – Michelle
What tools will you use?
- Visual Studio/XCode
How will you do testing?
Testing during and after every Sprint completion.
How will you do documentation (both internal group documentation as well as external player documentation)?
- We will document our progress publically using WordPress and Team Website.
- JIRA will keep track of internal documentation on tasks.
- Basic Map with Character moving around, networked (1.5 weeks)
- Teams obtaining flags with basic combat/heath (1 week)
- UI – minimap, health bars, menu/lobby (1 week)
- Models/terrain/sound (1.5 weeks)
- Items/abilities (2 weeks)
- Drop-in spawn
- Balancing Vehicles and everything else