Week 9

Week 9

Overall Status:

• Network: Animations are networked. Reduced the amount of packets being sent.
  • Graphics: The chicken animates! Getting the map set up (have a corn field) and putting real shading in on the objects. Also have a death animation.
  • Gameplay: Players die and respawn
  • Input:
  • Art:

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Monday, Thursday, and Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team

Group Morale:

UP

Screenshots:

Some new features into out map. Need to add textures to them.

This picture has a house, a building under construction.

13340582_1167859626591491_1489802037_o

This picture features a windmill and a maze made of corn.

13334267_1167859633258157_1097903860_o

Some random features we threw in for fun. I think that’s a boat and a hot tub.

13313619_1167859629924824_95483624_o

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?

This week I wanted to game the game to synchronize correctly between all players and with different amounts of players. I also wanted to get some game play stuff done too with win conditions and what not.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?

I was able to get the network to be more stable and got the game to sleep after the update to make sure that regardless of the amount of players, it wouldn’t be slower or faster. Thank you Professor Voelker!!!!!! We couldn’t have done it without you. Along with that problem, I spent some time adding some game features like a world clock to keep track of time. I also fixed that made it so we glide if we jumped in the air and moved around. I spent some time tuning the world to make it seem smoother. That part still needs to be edited later on when we add more stuff. Lastly, I noticed the way we spawn and how the eggs behave when exploding from a dying chicken and made it so that it should behave as expected. The eggs and chicken would only spawn in one quadrant of the map but it was a simple fix.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?

I was able to meet all my goals as expected this week. We are running into a bug that would crash the client sometimes even when idle. I’m not too sure if it’s a network or client side thing. It could be that the client is getting overworked and just crashes. We’ll look more into that these last few days.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?

Finish the game! Specifically, get the kinks out of the network. Add the power ups and fine tune the world more if needed.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?

It’s been real great seeing everything being done. I love the animations and all the graphics along with the weapons added. I can’t wait to finish the game and see what the final product looks like.

David:

Add more weapon types into game play that use field detection and other aspects.  Fix the collision handling bug that caused the server-side to crash on occasion and fix bullet handling to shoot farther without detecting immediate collision with the environment.  Also look into setting the server to update the client at a fixed rate.

I was able to implement a melee weapon that made use of field detection, fix the collision handling bug, fix the bullet handling bug by redesigning the map boundaries, and added a preliminary grenade launcher type weapon.  With the field detection code implemented, other weapon types that use fields can now be implemented.

We were unable to implement mounts just yet, and pushed it till next week.

Finish all weapon types.  Get mounts implemented and working with client-side.  Implement the physical objects in the map once its design is finished.

At a good state.  The final creative stretch!

John:

Tie in more features that people have implemented.

Got the game to a state where you can start a match and play until a player wins. Merged in animations into the network. This includes death animations and I also made a way to respawn gracefully to accompany this. Not sure if merging in UI stuff was this week. Improving the network by reducing the amount of packets needed to be sent.

There are still some stability issues that might be network related. Sometimes the client just crashes. Not sure why yet. We still have a ways to go before the game is a finished product. There’s a strange lag that occurs when objects are spawned. I have an idea of what this is after talking to AJ from group 3 or 4 about it.

Finish the game.

Tired but feeling great.

Matt:
Get the player animated, add shading to the world, and then shadows.

I got the player animated and added shading. Working on the shadows; hopefully that’ll be done by the morning.

Shadows. I got stuck on a stupid typo, but also on Uniform Buffer Objects which would have been much more optimal, but still don’t have that working.

Improve the model loading/using process, make sure the character pipeline works well, see what needs to get done for power-ups/weapons, and ideally mounts.

A little bothered that I got stuck for so long on certain things, but feeling pretty good to see that chicken walking around, jumping, and dancing.

Michelle:

Finish map.

Increased the map size, added many more models to the scene including a corn maze, instance rendered pumpkins, and structures such as construction sites and a house.

Need to texture some of the buildings.

Finish the game! Once the map is entirely finished, I’d like to help with getting mounts implemented.

Looking forward to demoing but also anxious about finishing with the time we have left.

Phoebe: