Week 8

Week 8

Overall Status:

• Network: Merge Merge Merge Merge. Mostly connecting all the parts that people from different subteams have been working on.
  • Graphics: Got grass rendering along with barns, silos, tractors, tables, textured eggs. Better system for shaders
  • Gameplay: we can (double) jump!
  • Input: Xbox Controllers now work with our game, using a config file to map button -> event
  • Art:

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Monday, Thursday, and Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team

Group Morale:

Screenshots:

Week8 World

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:
1) What were your concrete goals for the week?
This week, my main goal was to get jumps working along with adding more physical and graphical models.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?
I was able to get jumps working and correctly showing for multiplayers. I realized how we were initializing players and objects and that we needed to restructure that. I changed up how the server initialized players and was able to get multiplayers with different skins and for it to show respectively for each player. I was also able to make packets bullet packets sent to the server, but nothing has been acted upon it.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
Getting side tracked with the spawning restructure, I didn’t get most of the models loaded because I put more attention into other parts of the game.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
My goal for next week is to get smoother game play which I believe is a networking problem. The world moves really fast for one player, but slower and more players and it’s a little funky. Lastly, we should have game play finally done.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
I’m feeling pretty good with the work the team and I have done. We’re pretty much at the point where we can start messing around and fine tuning it.

David:

1)  What were your concrete goals for the week?

Add weapon and power up boxes to be collected in the world.  Get weapons and player death working with collision detection handling.  Connect more physics gameplay aspects with the client-side graphics.

2)  What goals were you able to accomplish?

I coded the back-end physics handling of power-up boxes and weapon collection.  I got bullets to spawn and shoot symbolically, as well as delete upon collision.  I got field detection working and is ready to be connected further with the chickens for peck and other field detections.  Jump and firing was connected through networking, but the graphic bullet spawning isn’t quite there yet.  Death kind of works, but it’s confusing why the bullets are hitting the ground at y=.99.  Maybe the Sphere objects can be at minimum a .5 radius.

3)  If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?

Certain connections between graphics and physics were not finished just yet, with some tasks taking more time than expected and still unforeseen bugs.  But we’re making progress!

4)  What are your specific goals for the next week?

Hopefully mounts.  Definitely different weapons, a fixed map, and game states!

5)  What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?

Tired, but still very excited!

John:

1) what were your concrete goals for the week?
I don’t really remember to be honest. I think we wanted to get the game to a state where you can start and play it until you win

2) what goals were you able to accomplish?
Merged in menu and lobby UI. Set up a config file to set properties on server and client easier. Merged in a lot of the physics stuff David had. Solved some bugs related to rotations. I think I merged some graphics things in too? I don’t really remember if that was this week.

3) if there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
Couldn’t get the game to a state where you can play until someone wins. A lot of bugs came up while merging. There was a rotation bug for a while.

4) what are your specific goals for the next week?
Merge more. Get David’s weapon code in. Get Matt’s animations in. Get UI stuff from Phoebe. A lot of the parts are there, everything just needs to be pieced together.

5) what is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
I’m exhausted right now, but my morale is at an all time high.

Matt:

I think it was to work on UI, map, and player pipeline.

My goals changed as I went into the week. I got the Xbox controller input in fairly easily, then played around with using the config file system made in this week as well. Used the config file for a shader system as well so we’re not duplicating shaders across the same objects.

I wasn’t really able to work on the project until last Saturday. In the meantime Phoebe started working on UI and Michelle did stuff on loading more objects. I wanted to get an objective map for both client/server, but figured some sort of config file would be important for that so I was waiting for that. Also had early issues with networking state being in a sort of buggy state so I couldn’t reliably test character pipeline/animations. Also just got held up in helping fix bugs other bugs, such as those in merging.

Work on getting a map for both server and client to load.

Just jumping back into the project is a little odd, but I’m figuring out how to do things that we need done.

Michelle:

Phoebe:

I wanted to get the lobby finished, working , and into the game.

I was able to accomplish my goal, and I merged everything into master. I also started rendering ui elements in the actual game mode and working on making the game winnable

n/a

display eggs, health, etc above each player by next week, and make the game winnable by hopefully tonight.

great 🙂 the game is really coming together !