Week 7

Week 7

Overall Status:

• Network: Multiplayer functionality works now!
  • Graphics: Got some other models loading in (tractor, barn). Working on character pipeline for using the animated model to walk, jump, etc.
  • Gameplay:
  • Input:
  • Art:
  • Audio:

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team
  • Monday for a combination of some networks & graphics

Group Morale:

Screenshots:

underground_chicken 13249441_10209664117986017_1108508618_n13242105_10208718193541192_144909507_o.png

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?

Multiplayer functionality was the main goal for this week. We wanted to get players to see each other, move around, and collect eggs respectively while updating the scene whenever and event happens.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?

Multiplayer works now and for the most part, everything is working. I was able to find part of the bug that made the chicken turn upside down and fixed that. More physics objects have been implemented such as bullets.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?

As shown in the picture, the chicken spends most of it’s time upside down. I was able to to fix that so that when rotation starts, it will turn up side down briefly but then go back up and everything is normal. I believe it’s how we’re handling the quaternions that’s a little whackey. But that shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?

I hope to get jumps working and to get the other world objects such as hay bales and barns up and about.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?

It’s pretty good. Cool to see the chickens run around and rotate on each other’s screens. Can wait to get that animation added!

David:

Get more gameplay mechanics implemented and connected with client-side.  Work on getting weapon fire rate, projectile spawning, and damage working smoothly and with correct object ids.  Implement a field object in the physics engine to do field damage effects or vehicle mounting.

Re-organized server-side dynamic objects to spawn from a singleton spawn class, all under the super class Entity and placed in a map to more easily send client side updates.  Also created a singleton fire rate class that controlled the rate of generic weapon use per time;  waiting correctly resets the weapon to be of immediate use.  Bullets spawn dynamically with a scaling object id for an indefinite amount of time, decrements player health.

I was unable to connect that many server gameplay mechanics to the client-side.  I focused more on re-structuring and adding server-side code for weapons and spawning.

Add more weapons / powerups to be picked up, both melee and ranged.  Work on getting the maps designed and set on the server-side.  Get mounts working once the fields get figured out.

More of the program structure is really coming together; necessary preparations for the final sprint.

John:

I wanted to fix up multiplayer functionality. We had a hacky version of it that broke when the network got more complicated. I also wanted to get more gameplay stuff hooked up to graphics.

Multiplayer has been fixed. Planned out some more of the architecture of the gameplay/server side with David.

Rotational information was the most important part of hooking up the gameplay stuff to graphics, since we’ll be launching projectiles and projectiles need a certain direction to be launched in. As you can see in the screenshot, rotational information isn’t correct yet. Movement does consider the direction that the player is facing, but for whatever reason, the models are upside down right now.

Fix this rotation bug, get projectiles going, get player deaths going. Want to just build up on this baseline right now.

Pretty good, looking forward to some of the gameplay stuff like projectiles and items that David’s been implementing, but we haven’t been able to integrate yet.

Matt:

To get the animation actually integrated into the player and start looking into the networking/server backend involved in gameplay.

I started learning about the networking required for spawning objects, and worked a little on getting the player to animate.

This week was a really busy week for me and so I wasn’t really able to work on the project.

I want to get the player animated as we move around. Then maybe look into textures as a small aside. I also want to start getting into gameplay such as attacks or mounts.

Hard to say since I didn’t do much work this past week.

Michelle:

I had planned to work on UI, but I believe Phoebe and I have a similar eye for these things. I decided to work on building up our scene more while she works on the menu.

I expanded our world and added a barn, silo, tractor, and bench into the scene and am now currently working on implementing instance-rendered grass.

I wanted to get grass finished by now, but am running into an exception that’s breaking my program. On Tuesday we plan to do a long coding session, during which I should be able to finish debugging that.

Finish grass, implement physical boundaries in our scene such as a fence to blockade players from venturing too far. Add in fields, etc. Work with the physics side to get collision detected for the inputted objects recognized. Also design eggs, add in more lighting, work with Phoebe to get more UI done.

Not too bad since it’s coming together! Just need to rev up the pace since demo day is around the corner.

Phoebe:

I wanted to have a working game lobby so we can transition smoothly between game states.

I was able to get font rendering working and put together a menu with 2D sprites. I’m currently in the middle of debugging sprite selection, because there seems to be something wrong with my shader.

I wasn’t able to get the game lobby working yet because I ran into issues with detecting sprite selection. Also, the font and 2D sprite rendering took longer than expected because our original shader class had some issues that we found while working on the menus.

Hopefully I can work with matt to figure out my shader issue since he has more knowledge of OpenGL than I do. Once that’s fixed, and element selection is working, it should be simple to finish the rest of the menus. I also hope to do the animation for the melee chicken attack.

I’m glad that I was able to render fonts and menus on my own, and I’m excited to get the game lobby finished 🙂 Hopefully I don’t run into any more hiccups.