Week 6

Week 6

Overall Status:

• Network: We’ve bridged graphics and physics!! Eggs can now be collected in both worlds.
  • Graphics: Added abilities to add and remove entities from the scene. Got animation working with appropriate materials and an animation player that should work well with a character pipeline (yet to be created).
  • Gameplay: Can pick up eggs
  • Input:
  • Art:
  • Audio:

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team
  • Monday for a combination of some networks & graphics

Group Morale:

I think we collectively feel behind schedule, though on the brink of getting real gameplay going.

Screenshots:

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?
My goals this week was to update graphics to represent the physics world. More specifically, we already had the chicken in the physical world detect collisions with walls and eggs (flags) and we wanted the graphics side to reflect that.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?
We were able to get the graphics to update correctly and we can now spawn eggs and the chicken in the world and go around to pick them up thanks to the new API’s provided by the graphics team. We also had to change some of the network side by adding new packet types and actions.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
We were able to get our immediate goals done but we did run into some troubles with off by one errors with our object IDs but that was fixed after some mild debugging.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
We hope to get the multiplayer working next where we can have 2 or more players control their own chicken while collecting the eggs across the world. That would take some more consideration into the structure of our network side to avoid any race conditions and to make sure that all the correct information is being sent to the clients.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
My morale is pretty good right now. It was really cool to see the eggs being picked up after colliding with it. I can’t wait to get other players in the world to see a bunch of chickens run around.

David:

Helped connect the physics API and the graphics side with the networking team.  Starting to implement additional game logic elements on the server side, fixing the symbolic map walls, implementing the jump reset, spawning and handling projectiles to do player damage.

Helped finish connecting server player movement and egg collection with the client graphics.  Fixed the physics map walls, jump reset, spawning and handling projectiles, as well as worked on restructuring classes with class and object ids.

Finished the main goals I wanted to accomplish.  Restructuring with class and object IDs helps dynamic object spawning, but slowed extra progress.

Get rotation, jump, and bullet firing connected with graphics.  Implement different weapons or powerups, maybe with a type of grenade effect.

Seeing the player pick up eggs is a really nice moral boost.  Feeling time slip by though, wanting to pick up the pace

John:

I wanted to bridge the physics and graphics worlds so that we can pick up eggs upon collision.

We can now pick up eggs on collision

Movement isn’t perfect right now since we’re not sending orientation of the object yet. We’re only sending position. This is problematic because “forward” for the player is always in a specific direction regardless of where they’re facing.

Refine movement, do more basic gameplay stuff, specifically bullet logic.

I’m glad we have something now haha.

Matt:

Get animation working and once that’s done to place it in a usable structure for multiple animations on events. Maybe also to work on UI.

Got animation working and it’s in a fairly good structure. Materials for objects work so the coloring is right.

Not fully sure how to put the character pipeline in in regard to walking, attacking, idle, etc. but I think that’ll come a little later. I wanted to make a better system for events so when the server tells us to move, we’ll change coordinates and play the walking animation (which I guess is character pipeline) or similarly on dance to play the animation and music. Didn’t get to that because parsing over the animation to a better structure took a little longer than expected. UI was not touched at all in terms of menus or health bars.

We need to create a game lobby to connect to server. If we can include graphics in it, that would be good, but not sure how long that will take to research and implement. Would like to start working on the map and creating a world to play in. Also need to correct camera/model coordination and make the player use our animated model instead of the static one as well as fix the coordinate space movement.

Very happy I have animation done 🙂 I want it in a usable state, but not sure if that’s good to do now. Do indeed feel behind, but now that animation’s done I should be able to put much more time toward the gameplay or something of the sort.

Michelle:

Work on UI and add lighting/shaders.

Restructured the storage of objects from vectors into a map to now keep track of each object using a class ID and an object ID. Created adding and removing entities and helped merge with networking so that physics can be represented in our world. A collision with an egg can now be detected and registered as “collected.”

Didn’t get to UI or developing more advanced lighting/shaders yet since there were higher priorities, but will definitely get to them next week.

See above, UI (menus, health bars, etc). Now that animation and physics are working, we can work on more gameplay and scene design.

We definitely need to pick up the pace but we are setting ourselves up in a good position to do so. A hackathon session next week would be good.

Phoebe:

I wanted to finish up multiplayer controls and fix some bugs we were having last week in regards to that.

I managed to fix get multiplayer controls up and running (on master), and I also started working on managing our game states and creating menus so that we can do a game lobby to create teams.

N/A

Next week, I’d like to have a working game lobby where we can create our two teams and be able to transition between menus/play state smoothly.

I’m optimistic and hope to push through the coming weeks to make some awesome gameplay 🙂