Week 5

Week 5

Overall Status:

• Network: There wasn’t much work to be done on the networking. We went to work on physics with David instead.
  • Graphics: Working on displaying eggs and running animations. Eggs can be added, and different textured chicken models can be used for players.
  • Gameplay: Moved player around to collect flag objects
  • Input:
  • Art:
  • Audio: Is working on SFML, though it’s not currently useful.

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team
  • Monday for a combination of some networks & graphics

Group Morale:

I think we collectively feel behind schedule, though on the brink of getting real gameplay going.

Screenshots:

PlayerVelocitySuccess

PlayerAcquiresFlag

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?
This week, we wanted to get a successful world set up where players can spawn and run around and pick up eggs. In order to do this, we had to first get collision detection working.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?
We were able to get Bullet pretty much integrated into our network code with some bugs that need to be fixed. We believe we have most of the physical world set up. As for multiplayer, on the Client side of things on another branch, things seems to be more functional but not complete yet either.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
We weren’t actually able to get both sides merged yet as to difficulties with Bullet. We believe that we just don’t fully understand the library as we had hoped in the beginning. As mentioned before, we have physical objects for players and eggs, but it seems like movement and collision detection is a little weird. We believe it might be pointers are going around correctly or maybe we aren’t setting the correct values.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
Once we get these bugs fixed, we hope to actually merge both the graphics side and the client side again to get the players running around collecting eggs. I believe it isn’t that much further as soon as we fully grasp Bullet.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
I’m feeling slightly frustrate because I can’t seem to follow everything that’s happening in Bullet, but I am starting to get it more, so I hope once everything becomes clear, I can get everything set up and ready to go.

David:

My goals were to further implement the game logic with the physics engine; to implement movement, flag/egg collection, jump, and other game play mechanics with the physics library.

After debugging an issue that prevented physics objects from being updated, we now have the player able to move around and collect randomly spawned eggs/flags.  Most of the issues were with the unforeseen prevention to object updates, but with that solved, everything should work a lot smoothly.

Extra game play mechanics of bullet spawning and angle of fire have been delayed to fix general movement and flag collection.  Debugging the updating issue with the physics object took time and was the main reason.

Finally connect the game logic with the graphics team and start working on combat game play.  At least get bullets to spawn and deal damage.

Got frustrated since I thought I understood Bullet better, but after solving the update issue, things aren’t so bad.

John:

Get the chicken to pick up eggs through collision detection. We wanted this to be reflected in both the physics world and graphically.

We set up the physics world with Bullet. We’re at a point where we can see some collisions, but movement is buggy right now, so we can’t run the chicken into an egg yet.

We can’t pick up eggs yet because of the issues with movement right now.

Get these bugs sorted out. Finish collision detection, which would let us collect eggs. I feel like we’re so close to getting it to the point where we can almost call it a game.

Pretty average. I feel like we’re behind, but we’re also meeting more often now.

Matt:

Get animation working.

I was able to add the newest version of Assimp to load in fbx files and start testing the animation code.

I was unable to get the animation working. I think there’s a combination of complexity in switching from OpenGL 1.2 to Modern OpenGL that makes this more difficult, but also trying to use a tutorial’s code which is quite complex in itself. If the tutorial’s code is supposed to work on it’s own, I’m not sure why it doesn’t, so everything is suspect for bugs at the moment.

Animation. But also, again, if we can quickly provide what the other teammates need in terms of client-side graphics, then Michelle and I can start looking into UI/menus or terrain.

It’s pretty mediocre, but not terrible. At least at this point the issue isn’t trying to get the libraries to work, but rather doing something that I know how to do and debug.

Michelle:

Try to get animation working and also put some eggs in the scene for the networking and physics team to try collision detection with.

Took a break from animation to let Matt take a stab at it. Created an Egg class to easily add eggs into the scene, and also wrote a function to easily change the texture of the chickens which will come into play when we have different players with different chicken textures, as well as when the chickens change texture in response as a result of picking up an item.

Animation has been a huge roadblock thus far. We are conversing with other teams about it, which has helped make slight progress, but we are still unsure where the bug lies since it is modern OpenGL and we are still learning as we go. There are lots of other tasks to do besides animation, so working on other things seems like a better option for now.

UI, build a more finalized scene that we will use for our demo, add lighting/shaders, possibly environment mapping. If we begin to see a slow in performance, we can use the following week to optimize.

I think we need to meet more as a team, not only for productivity reasons but also for morale reasons. I agree with the group morale. This week Phoebe had to go to the hospital for internal bleeding which was frightening 🙁 She is healing now and I hope she feels better soon!

Phoebe:

I had wanted to get all the multiplayer controls, spawning, and picking up eggs completed.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to meet any of my goals.

On Tuesday I spent the afternoon trying to fix a networking bug created by our merge. Late that night, I had severe abdominal pains and I had to go to the ER after vomiting and blacking out from the pain. It turns out I had a ruptured ovarian cyst that caused severe internal bleeding, and I had to stay in the hospital for a day to monitor my blood pressure/blood count. I was prescribed narcotic pain medication that left me unable to do anything for the entire week while I healed.

Next week, I hope to complete my goals from this week and help out wherever the team needs me.

I feel horrible for setting my team back 🙁 I had really wanted to work from bed but my medications kept me knocked out and I gave up trying to stay awake.