Week 4

Week 4

Overall Status:

• Network: The network infrastructure is pretty solid now. We improved the packet system to use a byte buffer so we can be flexible with the data we’re sending.
  • Graphics:
  • Gameplay:
  • Input:
  • Art:
  • Audio:

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team
  • Monday for a combination of some networks & graphics

Group Morale:

Screenshots:

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?
To get the client to update based on what the server had sent back. Also, we worked on the new packet structure changing it from a set structure to something more like a byte buffer of some sorts.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?
We got the client to update accordingly to the server and what it sent back instead of just doing everything client side. The packet structure was also changed into a byte buffer which allows for multiple structures of packets to be sent back and forth.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
We got everything done for the week and functioning. We did run into trouble of how we initially imagined the byte buffer. We had hoped it to be a packet with a variable buffer length. We soon found out that storing a pointer to a buffer and sending that pointer to a client won’t mean anything so we ended up having a fixed length buffer of the biggest object needed to send back and forth instead of a ridiculously large buffer which causes excess data to be sent back and forth.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
Now that we got a hopefully nice buffer working, we plan to start working more on game logic thus allowing us to expand on the types of objects and structure of the network when sending packets back and forth.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
It’s pretty good right now. Interesting things are being done with our group and it’s cool to see the world we made interact on two different computers.

David:

My concrete goals were to fix the Visual Studios issues with the Bullet Physics installation, get symbolic objects for Player, Map, and Bullets, as well as connect networking to the physics engine

I was able to fix the Visual Studio installation issues with the Bullet Physics engine, and have continued implementation of the game physics objects.  I have been implementing the game logic as an API that the network update method can call.

We have not yet connected the network update to call the Game Physics API just yet, but we are ready to.  We will do so during our next meeting

Further implement the game logic in adding health calculations, angle of fire, different weapon types, and flag pickups.  See if components can be utilized in game implementation.

After fixing the Visual Studio issues, I feel like I better understand the IDE and can focus more on game implementation.  More hopeful

John:

I wanted to improve the packet structure to use a byte buffer so that we could send more general packets between the client and server.

I wanted to merge the networking side with David’s game objects this week so that we’d have a fully integrated graphics/network/game-physics into a “game”.

I implemented the packet improvements and started a pattern for object serialization/deserialization. We only have one type of object so far that contains positioning info, but as we go along, we can just use this pattern for (de)serialization.

Met up with David to try to start integrating his game objects, but we were running to some issues with bullet and Visual Studio. We managed to get those issues resolved, but didn’t have the time to start the integration.

I’ll be working with David on the game objects, physics, and gameplay since the networking side is pretty solid now. I’ll still keep an eye out on improvements we can make to the network infrastructure though.

I’m feeling pretty good since the networking side of things is laid out now. I’m also a bit nervous since we delayed our merge meeting a bit and haven’t done it this week. Everyone seems to be far from master, so things might get a little messy. We’re hoping to merge before or after our meeting with Prof. Voelker tomorrow.

Matt:

I wanted to get a better structure for objects in the Scene to be able to add them more robustly. I also wanted to get animation working.

I made fair headway on the structure for the scene, creating a superclass for objects

I got more involved in animation this week and found some problems such as Visual Studio’s version of assimp not loading fbx files, nor multiple input files for formats such as md5. Started looking into other formats/loaders. I also got a little stuck on design patterns in regard to having an Entity superclass and which classes should subclass, etc.

I want to read more on design patterns for video games to have cleaner code. Aside from that, having the game in a state where we can pick up eggs is important and continuing to look into more graphics improvements will be beneficial along the way. Particularly need to look into UI such as health bars, name tags, etc.

A little tired to that animation keeps sucking up time without having obvious answers. If I didn’t think about it I feel like there’d be a lot more progress toward other goals.

Michelle:

Phoebe:

My goals for this week were to create more animations and create an engine on the server that will handle any manipulations we need to do from client packets.

I made animations for jumping and pecking, and I got the client to update based on packets sent from the server. I also created an engine on the server that holds a virtual representation of our world and holds the positions/states of all the objects. Data from this virtual world is now used to update the view in the clients. I created a function in the engine to generate random locations for any type of object, but I haven’t applied it to the actual game yet because I’m in the middle of finishing up multiplayer controls.

There’s nothing I wasn’t able to meet, as I got further than I expected to this week.

Next week, I want to finish multiplayer controls, integrate random spawning, and implement picking up eggs. I expect multiplayer controls to take up a bulk of my time since I’m likely to run into bugs with current server/network implementation.

I’m very optimistic about the actual engine, but worried for the animations side since the graphics experts weren’t able to complete animation loading this week.