Week 3

Week 3

Overall Status:

• Network: Improved some of the network infrastructure from last week. Server and Client can now communicate in reaction to events.
  • Graphics: We have the player (camera + model) moving around a basic world with a skybox! Animation is in progress.
  • Gameplay: TBD
  • Input: TBD
  • Art: Textured chicken and skybox in the scene. Also have a floor with a shader.
  • Audio: Have a sound working on Mac.

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team
  • Monday for a combination of some networks & graphics

Group Morale:

Screenshots:

Flying chicken!
Flying chicken!

Week3 Chicken

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?
To get the game to take in a command, wrap that up in a packet, send it to the server, and have the server process it, and send it back out to the client. More specifically, create new method to send packets, a method to register the object movement, and basic structure as what to keep for each player object.

2) What goals were you able to accomplish?
We were able to get the basic things working. We just need to link main parts of the client and server together real quick. The game does everything by itself like register key movements. The server gets the key movements in the form of packets, registers, and updates the server and sends it back out. We’re just missing the quick step of processing the return packet and acting upon it.

3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
We were able to get pretty much everything except that small thing mentioned above. We believe that should take no more that a 30 minutes to place in. We slightly underestimated the work and it just took a tad longer than expected along with the unsatisfying amount of work put in by myself.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
Fix that problem mentioned above. We hope that implementing the Server/Client loops won’t be too hard and then implement multiple players in respect to the network side of things.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?
It’s neutral right now because I didn’t get much done this week. But he Graphics team made such a cool game so far and it’s nice to see it all in production so that’s real swell.

David:

My concrete goals were to get the Bullet physics engine installed and added to our game project.  I was also tasked to implement symbolic shapes for players, environment, and bullets that will be used to calculate position, speed, collisions, and other general physical calculations.  The map is initialized with a plane, obstacles with static various objects on the plane.

Got the Bullet physics engine installed for the most part; ran into some slight issues with Visual Studio, but should be ironed out.  I coded a rough draft of the physics implementation of map, player, and bullet objects.

The issues with Visual Studio slowed down progress of testing bullet collision detection and collision override method with other objects.

Fix the issue with Visual Studio, as well as connect networking and graphics together with the physics engine.  Get visible players moving, map initialized, and bullets fired with the physics engine.

Excited to connect everything together and see our game come to life

John:

This week I wanted to send meaningful packets between the client and server. I wanted to be able to update the view on the client based on the info that the server sent back.

I created a rough idea of how our packets would look and got a system working to send packets containing actual information between the server and client. I figured out a way to extract this information.

The goal of updating the view was a bit misplaced. I think I needed some game logic objects first, like a data structure to represent the world and some other object to represent the chicken.

Also I feel like the way I designed the packet structure may be problematic in the future. I’m not sure if this is the best way to do things. As just a command line application (as far as networking goes), I don’t think we ran into any latency issues just yet. I need to improve upon this current system I’ve set up.

Get to updating the view based on packet information. That being said, some of that work will probably leak into game logic since we’ll need some logic constraints to do things related to the view, like keeping the chicken within the boundaries of the world.

Less specifically, I’ll keep close attention to the performance of the network and will always be thinking about how to improve it.

To be honest, I feel a little down about the past week since I didn’t put as much work into the project as I had hoped. On the other hand, I feel very motivated to step up.

Matt:

My goal for this week was to have a world that we could test moving a “player” around in and then to implement the player which would be composed of the camera and a model. I also wanted to figure out how to easily add objects to the world so that less knowledge of graphics would be necessary.

I got the most basic world in with a square ground. Michelle was working on the skybox which we got to work late last night. I also got the player/model to move together and rotate kind of as desired. The objects and scene data was refactored to be a little cleaner, but could still use work.

I wasn’t really able to get adding objects to the world to a workable place. Working on the player took longer than expected because I was working at hours when my mind just wasn’t thinking well. I also got stuck on trying to get the animation/audio code to compile on Windows, which I never did.

If it’s easy I’d like to fix the camera rotation when looking down and up so it swivels around an arm rather than a “ball-joint.” I want to continue to refactor objects so that it can be robustly added to the scene where others can use it. I would like to get the audio/animation code to compile and work after that. An added bonus would be to use a config file for input -> logical event and continue learning more about advanced Modern OpenGL techniques.

Individual morale is mediocre. I’m glad I got the player done, but it took way longer than it should have and getting stuck on trying to compile other code was really frustrating. I never got it to compile and don’t really know what the issue is so that’s a problem.

Michelle:

Create a textured skybox, begin implementing scene graph structure so that camera is positioned behind and following the player, and work with the networks team so that we can send packets to make the model move. Also want to begin implementing animation of the chickens using the file Phoebe created.

I implemented a textured skybox into our scene, which surprisingly took longer than expected. Note to self: Do not send texture image files through Facebook Messenger…
We opted out of creating a scene graph structure, and Matt finished positioning the camera behind the player so that it follows it.

Phoebe, Matt, and I have been looking into animation, but as of now have not been able to get it showing in the world. I am currently debugging and hope to get it working asap this upcoming week. The networks team is also working on the packets so we are getting close to syncing with model movement.

Successfully read in animation files, place eggs in scene and register “picking them up.” Begin implementing combat abilities and UI.

Not too great because I did not complete all of my goals for the week. It will be higher once I see the chicken animated in our world!

Phoebe:

I wanted to get animations working on the client this week.

For the animation portion, I managed to get bone and mesh data successfully loaded into the client in appropriate data structures. I also got audio working and created a config file system that would allow us to change network and game configurations without the need to recompile. We plan to improve the config file system as we go along and figure out exactly what our needs are for the config file. As an added bonus, I also animated our chicken to do the chicken dance. 😀

I’ve been having trouble getting the animations to actually display in the client because I have minimal experience with graphics. I was hoping to start small on the graphics side but ended up responsible for animations, which was pretty overwhelming. Michelle and Matthew were busy with their own tasks, so they weren’t able to help me much on the animation side, but I think for next week it would be better if one of them were allowed to focus more on animation, since it’s a more advanced task and they have way more experience with graphics than I do. :3

Matthew hasn’t been able to get the audio libraries to compile on windows, so next week, I want to help him figure that out. I also want to get animations working, and further develop gameplay and the map design. Animations seem to be our biggest hurdle right now, and if we can get past it, we can really get started on gameplay.

I’m honestly really burned out and stressed from working on the animations non stop for the whole week. It was kind of frustrating not being able to get the animations to display without really knowing how to debug OpenGL. I really hope we can get someone more experienced to help finish up the animations, and if we do that, I’d be really optimistic going forward haha.