Week 2

Week 2

Overall Status:

• Network: Simple server and client can communicate with each other on Windows
  • Graphics: Setup basic cube object with camera, can translate/transform
  • Gameplay: Using w,a,s,d to control the object
  • Input: Mouse and keyboard
  • Art: Chicken model with different textures, walk animation made in Maya

Meeting Dates:

• Every Tuesday and Thursday morning for all team meetings
  • Monday, Thursday, and Saturday for graphics team
  • Tuesday and Sunday for networking team

Group Morale:

11693600_986196994733999_1371862878_n

Screenshots:

12988004_10208437329799774_1226510791_n
12980472_10208437329839775_448498078_n
12980570_10208437329919777_1052180650_n

Autodesk Maya 2016 - Student Version: :Users:phoebe:Develop:CSE125:assets:chickens:chicken.mb* 2016-04-11 12-10-50

12992377_10208470763195588_1892752439_n
So majestic

Individual Progress Reports:

Brian:

1) What were your concrete goals for the week?

Wanted to minimally get a simple server going where packets or data can be sent back and forth between the client and server. If that was done, then combine graphics side with simple server. Extra time was allocated into getting server to work on Mac.
2) What goals were you able to accomplish?

Server was set up along with simple communication. Packets are sent back and forth without any evident problems.
3) If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
Complications due to Winsock’s incompatibility with MacOSX was more complicated that had expected. Trying to use one OS specific library made it more difficult. It isn’t as necessary though have cross platform but if we have ample time, we might revisit it.

4) what are your specific goals for the next week?

Set up the Client and Server loop correctly for the networking side and the graphics side. It would be nice to have at least the game motions and actions registered and can be detected via our server set up. It might be nice to start on the physics side of the networking part of the game too if time is available.

5) what is your individual morale (which might be different from the
overall group morale)?

It’s looking good for me. The networking group is working well together and we’re having fun. It’s cool see a game in the works. I can’t wait to get the basic requirements done!

David:

1)  What were your concrete goals for the week?

My goals for this week were to help get the simple server/client up and running for both Mac and Windows, as well as start to brainstorm on the Game Object organization.

2)  What goals were you able to accomplish?

I helped some with the server setup, but also worked and finished a possible layout of the Game Objects – how some game objects can be initialized with a config script and how they could be handled and accessed with our future physics engine.

3)  If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?

There were more issues than expected in getting the simple client server to work with the MacOSX socket library.  Once the project has gone further underway, maybe we will come back to work on the MacOSX compatibility.

4)  What are your specific goals for the next week?

My goals for the next week would be to work on implementing the Game Objects and look further into how the Physics Engine can be implemented.  I would also work with the Client and Server loop to figure out object movement messages.

5)  What is your individual morale (which might be different from the
overall group morale)?

I’m very excited to be working on the game object design and networking.  It’s fun to set aside time to make my own large-scale game with a team.

John:

1) what were your concrete goals for the week?

Wanted to get a simple server/client up and running for both Mac and Windows. The server should just bounce back any packets that the client sends. The packets didn’t have to have any meaningful information yet.
2) what goals were you able to accomplish?

The server and client are working. They send a bunch of packets back and forth in a “game loop”.
3) if there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?
Achieving cross platform might be more difficult than we thought. The skeleton code that we’re using uses Winsock which is a Windows only thing. We weren’t able to set up networking for Mac and it isn’t necessary. I don’t think we’ll be spending too much time on getting it to work cross platform since that’s not necessary, though it’s something that would be nice to have.

Send meaningful packets. To do this, we also need to implement a simple game logic data structure on the server and client. Then on key or mouse events, we’ll send actions to the server, have the server update the data structure, then send back the update, and then the client will modify the view. I want to set up a simple version of this by next week.

overall group morale)?

FeelsGoodMan – looking forward to this next week. We have some simple graphics to work with as well as input reading. This will help in sending meaningful packets.

Matt:

My goals for the week were to get a simple scene up and running in modern OpenGL with the ability to control a “player” moving around a basic world.

I learned a lot about modern OpenGL and got the cube with its shaders to work. I ported over a scene graph, but I’m still not sure if that’s the best way to go about this.

I wasn’t able to test the scene graph nor consequently get a player with an attached camera/model moving around. I think it was largely due to learning how modern OpenGL works, which took longer than expected on a bug that really wasn’t a bug.

4) What are your specific goals for the next week?
I want to get graphics to a place where the rest of the team will be able to add their own objects and models without too much hassle and we can work on the base game objectives. This would mean getting a simple world (like a flat square) with at least one player walking around and then creating an example for an object class with a model. I also want to test the scene graph/think about whether that’s a good way to go.

5) What is your individual morale (which might be different from the
overall group morale)?
Overall good. I’m still excited to work, but I feel like I need to relax a bit in how much I work on and think about the project. Still seems like there’s a lot more to do, though.

Michelle:

Set up camera to view scene, create an object loader, display a simple object into the scene for the rest of the team to be able to work with once the client/server is set up, and implement keyboard/mouse input.

We currently have a cube as our model in the scene with lighting and shading. We also have keyboard and mouse input to move the camera around the scene on a click. We also have written an object loader which Phoebe tested and was able to load her chicken model.

Met all of this week’s goals, but I need to read up more on modern OpenGL.

Create a textured skybox, begin implementing scene graph structure so that camera is positioned behind and following the player, and work with the networks team so that we can send packets to make the model move. Also want to begin implementing animation of the chickens using the file Phoebe created.

overall group morale)?

Eggcellent. Looking forward to getting more done next week 🙂

Phoebe:

Add some initial models that we can start testing the graphics engine with.
Create the chicken model and rig it for animation.
Get the graphics branch running on Xcode.

I added initial models, created the chicken model, rigged the chicken model, and I managed to create a “walk” animation for our chicken. 🙂

I got our graphics code to compile and run successfully on Xcode and figured out how to set up all the OpenGL libraries correctly.

N/A 🙂

Next week, I want to be able to load in the object models into the client to actually create the game map. I also want to get our code running on mac since a lot of our group members are working on macs when we’re at home.

overall group morale)?

I’m having fun learning the graphics side of things and learning to do 3D modeling 🙂 Maya had a high learning curve, but I’m getting the hang of it.